Friday, April 29, 2011

1 Week Postpartum

I hate to jinx myself by saying this, but the first week home with David has been a breeze.  My in-laws are here as well as my mom and my sister, and I haven't had to do much of anything except for keep my feet up and feed the munchkin.  It's been so great!  I've learned a lot over the last 7 days about being a mom, and I'm loving every second.
1 week post-baby - pretty happy with this bod so far!

Healing
I'm still getting used to having an incision.  I like that I have glue instead of stitches, but it's really strange to not be able to feel my belly.  The area about 2" above and below my incision is totally numb, but sometimes starts to sting which I'm guessing is the nerve endings starting to grow back.  I have a girdle/wrap that I wear during the day, because my abs are so weak I can barely stand up straight if I do too much without it.  I've been able to take a few trips out of the house to the store, and walking around feels really good.  I can't wait until I can start doing a little bit of exercise and taking walks/jogs with David, it's going to feel so good!

Breastfeeding
Is amazing.  I was so scared after the c-section that I'd have a hard time with this.  In the books that I read it was said over and over again that the more medications you have, the more interventions you have, and the longer you wait after birth to feed the baby the more trouble you will have with breastfeeding.  This terrified me.  The very first time I tried in the hospital, we used a shield to help David latch.  After that first feeding, he's had ZERO problems, doesn't need a shield, and nurses often and well.  It's such a euphoric feeling for me, I can't really describe it - it's like, when he's feeding I can tell my endorphins are rising and my mood gets better.  It really is one of the most natural things I've ever done, and is great bonding time for me and the little guy.  He's funny though, when someone else is holding him and I say something near him, he starts suckling the air - he's already associated my voice with food!  SP calls me the milk factory, lol.   Oh yeah, and my boobs are humongous

Sleeping
David is a great sleeper.  During the day he naps for 2-3 hours at a time, sometimes more, then eats and socializes for 45 minutes or so before taking another nap.  His favorite time is late evening, between 8 and 10 - he's super alert and that's usually when he has 'Daddy time'.  The first few nights he would cluster feed from about 11:30-1:30, and then sleep until 4 or 5, and then cluster feed again.  Thank goodness this didn't last long.  Now, at 8 days old, he pretty much sleeps for 3-4 hours, eats for 30 minutes, and sleeps again throughout the night.  This is great for me - I just pick him up from his bassinet (which is bumped up to my mattress), feed him, and lay him back down and go to sleep myself.  Usually once SP leaves for work, I put David in bed next to me and we doze and watch the news until I feel like getting up :)

David is such a good baby.  He only 'cries' when he gets his diaper changed, and even then it's such a wimpy, fake cry :)  He doesn't fuss, sleeps great, loves to be held and cuddled, and will nap/rest/hang out anywhere.  I know all of this can change, but I'm counting my blessings that I have such a happy, healthy, wonderful baby boy - and such a great family to help me out and transition into my new life!

No comments:

Post a Comment